Effective signage is one of the most important marketing strategies business owners can use to advertise their company, products, and/or brand.
Research shows just how powerful signage can be, particularly in terms of new businesses. For instance, the US Small Business Administration reports that a 24-month study of 165 small independent businesses revealed that half of their new customers were drawn to the business by exterior signage.
What Makes a Business Sign Effective?
While there are a number of options when it comes to choosing business signs, there are some proven standards that make a business sign effective:
- It must be specific in terms of the message it communicates.
- Remember the KISS principle: keep it simple stupid. You have just five seconds to get the message across.
- The message should be concise and clear with just enough information to get it across.
- It must stand out rather than blend with the background. The use of a single color, a bold logo, or another kind of image can be immensely powerful.
- Make sure it has a good call to action that will entice customers in the door or encourage them to buy a product.
Of course, signage isn’t always external. Businesses also use signs inside their stores to identify different departments, direct customers through their store or building, or to advertise in-house.
Regulations for Exterior Business and Advertising Signs
Every town, city, and/or community has rules and regulations that relate to exterior business signs and boards used for advertising. Before you have your business sign designed and made make sure you know what is allowed in your area. Regulations will specify sizes (width and height of the sign itself) as well as the height of the post or pole on which it will be erected, or where it may be displayed on a building. Allowable materials may also be specified.
Some communities place restrictions on color and letter sizes, and some even limit message content.
You will find this information at your local authority or zoning commission office.
Types of Signs for Business Use
There are many different types of materials that may be used for effective signage. There are also many sign variations including:
- Simple pole signs where the sign is mounted on a post or pole and normally utilized by one company only.
- Pylon signs that are frequently used by commercial operators at shopping centers, malls, hotels, and along the freeway. These usually display multiple signs and promote the businesses that are located close to the sign.
- Wall signs that are erected on buildings above or near the entrance to a building. These range from flat signs and dimensional advertising boards that comprise lettering to signs that are illuminated from behind of within the sign.
- Awning sides that are mounted over windows.
- Window signs made with graphics that are stuck onto the glass of windows.
- Vehicle signs and billboards mounted on trailers drawn by vehicles.
Of course, the material used depends on the type of sign chosen, which in turn will dictate price.
Wallace Graphics is well placed to help Georgia businesses choose the most effective business signs. Call us today for more information and advice. We’re here to help.